BRUNCH / TO START
It really is worth making a batch the night before you plan to drink this cocktail. We use a large Kilner jar stored in the fridge. Allowing the ingredients to rest together over night makes for an amazing drink and an easier life in the event of a hangover.
- 100ml Cornish Vodka
- 50ml sweet sherry
- 250ml good quality tomato juice
- 2 big dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 big dashes of Tabasco sauce to taste
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 big grinds of black pepper
- 2 pinches of celery salt
- Thumb of fresh horseradish, grated
- 2 lemon wedges to garnish
- 2 sticks of fresh celery to garnish
Combine all of the ingredients apart from the garnishes in a jug. At this stage adjust the seasoning, more Tabasco if you like it a little hotter or more Worcestershire sauce for more savoury notes.
Stir the mix with plenty of ice to chill. Serve in highballs over ice with the lemon wedges and celery to garnish.
Preparing the Bloody Mary the night before allows the horseradish to infuse and means that you can sieve it out before serving.
This recipe is for two but it also works brilliantly when scaled up.